Monday, January 5, 2015

Whooo Could Resist this Adorable Log Slice Owl?

Adorable Log Slice Owl! | Denise on a Whim
Now that the holidays are over I can show you a few of the gifts I made.
First up is this adorable owl I made for a friend.
I've been dying to share it with you!

You may remember from before Christmas
that a friend of mine gave me a bunch of log slices.
I made some cute reindeer from a few of them and gave them to my kids' teachers
(whooo loved them, by the way!)
When I saw this one, something about it reminded me of an owl.
Log Slice Owl via Denise on a Whim
 I just happen to have a friend who loves owls so, of course,
a Christmas present for her immediately sprang into action.
Bottle Caps, Buttons and Fabric Scrap Eyes on a Log Slice Owl via Denise on a Whim
 I went through my stash of junk
and found some bottle caps I had previously spray painted.
Then I found a few buttons and grabbed some sweater scraps while I was at it.
After some Gorilla Glue, I had owl eyes.
But it definitely needed something else.

I got on Pinterest and looked up some owl images.
Of course! It missing a nose.
And some wings.
Duh...
So I grabbed some burlap, painted it with my friend's favorite teal color
and cut it into a small triangle.
Then I glued that on, just under the bottom of both eyes.
Painted Burlap Nose on a Log Slice Owl via Denise on a Whim
I found some more scrap material, in teal gingham and I cut the pieces into wings.
Then glued them on.
But, the material was thin and the glue showed through.
It looked awful!
Not to let a little glue flub up ruin this wonderfully adorable Christmas present,
I grabbed the teal paint and painted the inside of each wing,
leaving just a small outline of the gingham fabric.
Turns out, I like it better this way!
Painted Blue Gigham Fabric Wings on a Log Slice Owl via Denise on a Whim
 The owl looked great.
But I wasn't sure if it should hang on the wall or what.
Then I remembered that this same friend had just bought a small painted drawer from me
and had sent me a picture of it on her desk.
Maybe the owl should sit on her desk, too...

I grabbed a 1/4" dowel and cut 2 pieces roughly 2" long.
Then, using the Gorilla Glue again, I attached them to the bottom of the log slice,
clamping securely until dry.
After drying, I painted the dowels and the glue that had oozed out with Chestnut paint.
Dowels Used for Feet on a Log Slice Owl via Denise on a Whim
 I love how it turned out and so did my friend.
It will be a great accessory to her desk or the hutch I painted her a few years back!
Make an Owl from A Log Slice via Denise on a Whim


Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover