Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover

Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim
Maybe it's the cooler weather.
Or maybe it's the lack of snow in a Michigan December.
Whatever the reason, I'm really loving a warm white color palette lately.
White, beige and a greyish brown are the colors I chose to beautify this sewing cabinet makeover.

Here's the cabinet as I bought it.
Well, sort of.
There is a little story behind it.
I can't be the only one who gets distracted in the middle of doing things, right?
Well, I picked up this sewing machine cabinet at a yard sale for $5.
There wasn't a thing wrong with it.
Until I got it home anyway.

I unloaded it from the back of my Suburban
with every intention of bringing it inside the house to work on.
Here's where the distraction part comes in.
My kids pulled me away for some reason and I left it behind the truck.
Later, we had to run to town.
And I backed into the cabinet with the big ol' Suburban!
Suburban versus cabinet.
I guess you know who the loser was...
Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim
I could have kicked myself.
Literally.
The cabinet that had been in perfect condition broke into 3 pieces.
I had a front and a left side. A back and a right side.
And a splintered leg, beyond repair.
Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim
I brought it inside the house.
And let it sit. For months.

I finally got off my duff and glued the back/right and front/left back together.
I also used liquid nails to glue the hinged lid down to the base
instead of dealing with the hole in the cabinet where the sewing machine would have sat.
Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim
Then I decided to cut all of the legs off to even them up with the splintered leg.
The cross support bars had to be removed because that's right where the leg had splintered.
Much to my surprise, I didn't need to add new support bars
because this cabinet ended up being a sturdy as she had started!
Just a little shorter!
Perfect end table or night stand size!
Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim
The original plan was to add a bottom shelf with 1x4 boards.
I used white and beige and alternated the colors.
I painted the inside of the cabinet in the same beige color.
It's called Faded Burlap and I love it!
The cabinet already had supports to attach the boards to so I simply screwed them in.
Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim
On the outside of the cabinet, I used white
and a color called Weathered Wood.
I'm loving it lately, too.
Both faded Burlap and Weathered Wood are from the Debi's Design Diary DIY Paint Collection.

The original plan was to leave the cabinet door on.
But, once I got those white and beige boards in there, I simply didn't want to cover them up.
So I took the cabinet door off and left it open-faced.

Turns out running this sewing cabinet over with my Suburban
was a blessing in disguise,
as misfortunes often are, given enough time and thought!
Warm and White: A Sewing Cabinet Makeover from Denise on a Whim

Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!
    Extremely helpful info specifically the last part
    I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    I want to express my gratitude to you. I hope you don't just overlook it and read my article well. I solved my problem.
    Windows 10 Highly Compressed Serial Key

    Windows 10 Activator Crack

    ADOBE PHOTOSHOP EXPRESS FOR WINDOWS

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover